Thursday, May 13, 2010

Surfing in Britain.


Secretly I've always thought that belly boarding is far more dignified than bodyboarding. It has tradition and style, I even fancy some of the threads...people don't know what old skool really is.




There's a historical stir for surfing in Kernow at present, originally I'd put it down to a wave drought of epic proportions...it was winter last time I saw a wave.

 English Jews of the 1920's who'd be surfing Cornwall on their belly boards, apparently by 1929 they'd seen some pretty grainy footage of Australians surfing standing up instead of prone and knocked themselves up a board or two. They gunned it down from the base in Hove with their new shred sticks wrapped in cloth and hacked buckets out of fistral beach.



Some old dear in Cambridgeshire found the video footage knocking around in her attic and the good old boys down at the British Surfing Museum lovingly restored it.



 Eventually the jewish surfing community decided that stopping Europe's number one anti Semitist was more important and whilst away fighting the Bosh bastards, someone nicked the boards out of their back garden....(just like my Bic, when I was in the USA last month).....a tragic lose to our surfing heritage.

 What puzzled me more was that Peru started surfing in the 1940's on the back of Carlos Drogny's return from Hawaii, Australia started surfing in 1915 with the visit of Duke Kahanamoku and California in 1885 with Hawaiian princes bringing their presence to bare. That suggests to me that Britain was one of the first surfing nations, and kicks France's claims of surfing first in Europe into the garlic patch, not only that, but I put it thus: Britain was the first surfing nation of the modern era that used deduction and innovation instead of a mentoring system to develop wave riding as we know it. No one came here and showed us what to do.



Excuse my slight xenophobic over tones: I'm trying to fit in with the new Tory led government which has begin to lead our nation.

I'm led to believe that a book and film will be available soon regarding this foray into British surfing history.

No comments:

Post a Comment