Monday, October 17, 2011

Bobby Martinez update.

I used to love watching Bobby Martinez at Mundaka. He just seemed to have been made for that wave, or any other big  barrelling left. I wouldn't necessarily be too interested in what many pro surfers have to say too often, "It was super fun" and "I'm stoked" can be used to answer any question it would seem but I was interested in why he wasn't around much this year. A few years ago I'd read how he was all jaded, hated the industry and thinking of going back to work for his Dad, which I thought was pretty .....left field.



 He's a Mexican in Californian who lives in a neighbourhood that has been described as a ghetto, whether rightly or wrongly, still it's a bit unusual compared to the luxurious beach pad of most. He has a few pit  bulls and loves his boxing.

 Bobby Martinez dropped out of the surfing tour cause he smoked so much weed he couldn't get his act together but apparently that's all in the past, back in 2005.

These day's he's taking some pot shots: (taken from extreme scene.com)


Martinez on Kelly Slater’s legacy, and whether Slater should retire: “I don't know and I don't care. I just hate how he says he's not doing the tour and then he does the whole year. Obviously, he loves the spotlight, but to me I don't care what he does.”



Martinez on Kelly Slater’s quiver: “He's only riding fishes because he can't get a good shortboard. That's why I left Channel Islands.”


 Bobby Martinez has the best back tattoo I've ever seen.


 However Bobby looks like his time is up as a pro tour kind of surfer due to his live broadcasted rant at the US Open at Huntington Beach...... Not sure he was too articulate but hey he didn't say "It was super fun" or "I'm stoked" once.



Believe it or not he'd just smoked Bede Durbridge and was through to a surf with Senior Slater. Anyway he's been banned for a year for bringing the sport's image into disrepute, seems like a long way from the free thinking and uncensored days....

No comments:

Post a Comment