Saturday, December 12, 2009

It´s all a load of hot air. Competition time.




















I´ve always found Meteorology a bit perplexing. This is particularly worrying as I have been known to teach a bit of geography in my time. Just before I discovered www.magicseaweed.com, www.wetsand.com etc I used to attempt to predict swell myself and when it would arrive and from what direction. This I have to say I managed with some success and beat the coconut wireless a few times.

What I never managed to get my head around was the wind direction that would come with it. Yes I know the wind follows the isobars, I have been told a million times but when I look at the map I just get all "I can´t deal with this".

English surfers know wind, to be more exact we know that South Westerlies and Westerlies are toilet, South Westerlies can be dealt with in Cornwall with a big to huge swell and a once a year huge south based swell will let a few south coast harbour walls operate but they are generally to be despised and unfortunately dominate. Now I can´t believe that a wind that takes up well in excess of over a hundred days a year has no name! Every seafaring country seems to have nicknames for their winds, and Britain doesn´t! As a point of interest during the First World War, Germans who developed poison gas first, didn´t maximise its usage because the prevailing sou´wester blew the gas back in their faces......and still no nickname!

Winds of the World:

Northerly: The Norte along the Mexican Coast or the Brickfielder of South OZ.

North Easterly: Matanuska of Alaska or Papagagayu of Nicaragua.

North Westerly: The Maestro of the Adriatic.

Easterly: The Leste of the Canaries or The Sundowner of California.

Westerly: The Mistral of France or Pampero of Argentina.

South Easterly: The Cape Doctor of Cape Town, RSA or Suestado of Uruguay.

South Westerly: The Kona of Hawaii.

Southerly: The Elephanta of the Malabar coast of India or Sirocco of Southern Europe from the Sahara.

Any offers for the South Westerly of England?

1 comment:


  1. ALPHA RECOVERY EXPERTS – CRYPTO SCAM RECOVERY SOLUTIONS CENTER.

    Thankfully, many folks who have fallen victim to these online trading Ponzi schemes are receiving their money back thanks to ALPHA RECOVERY EXPERTS. If you have ever lost your Crypto Assets to internet scammers, you can reclaim your funds with the help of the team. Alpha Recovery Experts are a licensed Cryptocurrency recovery team based in the United Kingdom who specializes in the recovery of lost currencies and bitcoin. My all invested life assets worth $194,000 were shielded from an online scammer thanks to the Experts. If you are a victim looking for an ethical hacker to help you get your money back, contact ALPHA RECOVERY EXPERTS through their support Team;

    Mail Info; ( Alpharecoveryexpert@consultant.com
    WHATSAPP; +44(745)742-4681

    ReplyDelete